We are still working on piecing together the history of our river house, and it’s previous owners. We know that the house was originally built by Captain Ebenezer Witter, a revolutionary war soldier born in Preston, Connecticut. Witter married his first wife in 1757, the year we understand that the river house was built. The house was built in Preston.
Witter was married two more times and is buried in Middle Farms Cemetery in Westfield, Massachusetts next to his third wife.
We also know that in 1976 Marine Corp veteran Wilbur Dinegar and his wife bought the house and moved it to it’s current location on the Connecticut River in Haddam.
Stay tuned for updates as we learn more about the history of Our River House.