The Kid’s Bathroom

The kid’s bathroom project rose on the priority list when a split pipe caused us to have to open a wall behind the shower. Then some mice found their way in and made a mess. So I got the mandate from Deb to get the bathroom cleaned up and remodeled before the kids come home for Thanksgiving break.

Here are a couple pictures of the bathroom before. (They aren’t that great)

is5an6iohq01x20000000000

Notice the sink. Although somewhat authentic, it wasn’t very practical for the kids.

ishnt9vkvt53th0000000000

The wallpaper was not something the kids really loved. And the room just felt really tight.

I started off by patching the hole behind the shower. I cleaned out the mouse mess and then repacked it with insulation. I added a layer of plastic before sheet rocking it in.

wp_20161022_18_50_23_rich

The chimney stack was right behind the shower. But there was a gap that was wide open from the attic, which is where the mice were coming in from. I filled that in with insulation and then boarded up and sealed around it with anti-rodent spray in foam insulation.

wp_20161017_18_20_14_rich

Next I remove the old sink. It was a pretty easy job since the counter just sat on an Ikea-like cabinet. The big problem was that they tiled AROUND the cabinet. And the missing tiles didn’t line up with my plans for a new cabinet.

wp_20161017_19_40_36_rich

Next I worked on removing the wallpaper. That was by far the most time-consuming part of the entire project. I then painted the room using a couple shades of gray. (Not 50)

wp_20161029_19_33_36_rich

Oh yeah – before we painted we bought a new cabinet to hold the sink. We got it from an antiques place in Old Saybrook. Here it is with the old sink on top of it when we were checking out how it would look.

wp_20161022_17_53_25_rich

So next I installed new lighting above the sink. I went with some short pendants that I found at Shagbark that matched the room color really nice.

wp_20161031_11_49_25_rich

I replaced the door hardware with new hardware that actually has all of the pieces and works!

wp_20161101_19_28_35_rich

The most exciting part was the installation of a new sink. I searched high and low for a nice vessel sink. White ones were okay, but I wanted something a little different. I found this neat fish sink on Wayfair along with the faucet.

wp_20161109_18_32_54_pro

To install it I cut out sections of the back of the cabinet to access the piping. I used a small trim radial saw, which worked really well.

wp_20161110_08_59_52_pro

I screwed the cabinet to the wall so it wouldn’t move. I also cut out a portion of the drawer so that we could still use it, but have it wrap around the plumbing.

wp_20161110_10_37_44_pro

A few finishing touches and the room looks really great. I think the kids will be happy with it.

wp_20161111_18_23_30_panorama

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

2 Comments Add yours

  1. Janice Terminator says:

    Nice job looks great!!!!

    Like

  2. Gene says:

    Really looks nice. Great job!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s