Doors, doors, doors…

Its been a while since I’ve added a new post to the blog. But, I have been busy and am ready to start catching up. This post is about two door projects I recently worked on.

The first project was painting the barn doors that are in between the kitchen and living room. I built and hung them last spring, but haven’t gotten around to painting them yet. To start, I took off the hardware and brought them down to the basement.

wp_20161221_19_01_45_rich

I filled in all of the screw holes with wood putty. Then sanded down the doors so they were smooth. Next, I added a base coat. My plan was to have them look like the island, which has a green base coat covered with a charcoal. Then the charcoal is sanded down in certain places to reveal the green. So, here is the green.

wp_20161221_20_04_18_rich

And here is the charcoal, added after two coats of green on both sides.

wp_20161224_07_52_32_rich

After the charcoal dried I started with sandpaper in a crisscross pattern.

wp_20161224_08_00_41_rich

I did each board separately, but allowed the sander to overlap onto the next board. In the areas where the wood was uneven the sanding brought out the bare wood. I really liked this look, showing bare wood to green to charcoal, so I did it in purpose in some other random places.

Next I rubbed the doors down with steel wool in a circular pattern. This softened the look and made the feel of the doors really silky.

wp_20161224_08_00_52_rich

I then brushed off the dust and washed the doors down to clean up the dust. All that was left was to hang them and add handles. I got the handles from Lowes. They are made by Stanley.

doorswtree

The other door project I completed was adding a glass shower door to the downstairs shower. It’s a totally clear door, so the photos don’t really show it will. But, here is the before…

wp_20161226_09_40_27_rich

The hardest part of this job was drilling the holes needed to mount the support. I used a 5/16″ diamond hole saw to drill through the tile. It took a little getting used to. At first the saw was walking away from the targeted area. Then, I read the directions. You hold the saw at a sharp angle at first, then slowly bring it to 90 degrees with the wall. Keeping the hole wet throughout to save the bit.

After about an hour I had the 6 holes drilled and ready to go so I could mount the support.

shower2

The door is a Kohler Revel 36″ door. I picked it up at Lowes. Actually had it ordered and shipped there because they didn’t have it in stock.

Once the frame was up, putting in the glass was easy. I got the glass leveled and added silicone as needed to keep it water tight. I was really happy with the results and the operation of this door. I’d recommend it to someone doing a similar project.

shower

Stay tuned for most updates in the next few days. (I have some time this week!)

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s